Sigh.
I took Keane in for his weight and oxygen saturation check today. Both results were still acceptable - 2.5 oz of weight gain since Friday and O2 sats between 84 and 88. A little lower than last week on the O2, but still above the indicated alarm level of 80.
I decided that if I did not check in with Dr. Bob, I would regret it. Since Thursday, a few symptoms/behaviors had bothered me. First, "hello, anybody home?" Keane has seemed a little "checked out," for lack of a better term. Second, he doesn't seem to have much appetite when he wakes up in the morning. Last, I cannot seem to control his temperature. Mostly, he seems to be getting too hot, without reason (we are lucky enough to live in a house that essentially never changes temperature). Dr. Bob did a physical exam for cardiac issues and, sure enough, his liver had descended in his abdomen again (i.e. - mild congestive heart failure). As a result, we've increased the Lasix to try and remove excess water that may be accumulating around his heart and lungs. He'll probably drop some weight again as his body gets rid of the extra fluid.
What's next? Good question. I spoke with Dr. Kelly today. The marching orders are if my Mom-dar says he is getting worse, drive him to Portland. Ironically, tonight Keane started sweating again while nursing (aka getting worse). Luckily, now I am am an old pro. I gave him some passive oxygen, a few kisses and put him to bed. Then, I called Dr. Bob again (this man should get an award for being the most rockin' pediatrician ever). Because I had only just administered the increased dose of Lasix, we couldn't expect dramatic improvement yet. If he is unchanged in the morning...northbound we will travel. As Dr. Bob said - there is nothing we can do for him in Eugene... he needs a Peds Cardiologist to examine him.
Where will we be by tomorrow afternoon? Your guess is a good as mine.
2 comments:
You are all in our thoughts and prayers! I admire you greatly, Erin and Ben! Thank you so much for keeping us all posted with all you have going on in your life!
Love,
Aunt Susan
Your "Mom-dar" is so tuned in, Erin, thank goodness! I am sending my love and positive thoughts to you and the family in double doses!
Hugs,
Mare xo
Post a Comment